Busy Life As A Bunyard

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tough Critic

As I sit here and drink my coffee, I'm reminded of the harsh words I had to have with myself this week. It seems that I've put things off and justified them by doing "more pressing" chores, if you will. When really I should acknowledge the items at the top of the list and move on from there. ( I so sound like my mother.) So basically I had a Come to Jesus Moment with myself, and that's always real fun. I believe you are your own toughest critic and I need to be reminded of that sometimes.
Watch out world! I'm working on my to-do list. 
I was recently driving around and had an epiphany. (Why do these moments always seem to occur in the car?) I was reminded that I have a certain standard for how I want to live my life and the only person stopping me, is me. Whew! I feel like I should say an amen after that statement!
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but I'm off for the summer and will not be returning to work due to finishing a master's degree. So why not now? What is my excuse? I clearly have ample time and I need to cease the "I'll do it later" mentality and adopt a better since of urgency when it comes to those less appealing chores. I understand chores are not fun. If they were, they would not be called chores. Duh!
Obviously, this is not an easy conversation to have with yourself, but it’s better than hearing it from someone else. I’ll admit it is tough to acknowledge the fact that your procrastination is not only leading to disappointment with yourself but also those around you. Ouch. Those can be harsh words to hear, but sometimes necessary.
You know that cliché saying, don’t put off for tomorrow what you can today? Well, it is not so cliché after all.
So whether it is keeping the laundry caught up, trimming the bushes, or just simply completing a sewing project, I vow to try to be more in the moment and live for today; and not for tomorrow.
Yard work anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment