Busy Life As A Bunyard

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Nook Book

Have I mentioned I LOVE my Nook Book?!! If you don't have one, you should most definitely consider it. You'll never have to go the book store again.

Unfortunately, the summer is coming to an end and I have to wrap up my summer reading. I have just finished the Oh So Southern book, The Help. Never heard of it? Oh goodness, I highly recommend that you sit down and read it-along with a glass of sweet tea of course.

The Help Trailer -Watch this.


Without giving too much away about the book, I wanted to share some notes from the author that really warmed my heart. She totally hit the nail on the head! Kathryn Stockett - Author of The Help


"The rash of negative accounts about Mississippi, in the movies, in the papers, on television, have made us natives a wary, defensive bunch. We are full of pride and shame, but mostly pride..... Once, at a roof party, a drunk man from a rich white Metro North-train type of town asked me where I was from and I told him Mississippi. He sneered and said, "I am so sorry."

"I nailed down his foot with the stiletto portion of my shoe and his foot with the stiletto portion of my shoe and spent the next ten minutes quietly educating him on the where-from-about of William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Tennessee Williams, Elvis Presley, B.B. King, Oprah Winfrey, Jim Henson, Faith Hill, Jams Earl Jones, and Craig Claiborne, the food editor and critic for The New York Times. I informed him that Mississippi hosted the first lung transplant and the first heart transplant and that the basis of the United States legal system was developed at the University of Mississippi."

"Mississippi is like my mother. I am allowed to complain about her all I want, but God help the person who raises an ill word about her around me, unless she is their mother too. "

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment